Teeth are quite strong but it is possible to break them. This could happen due to eating something hard, injury during an accident or sports, untreated cavities, or old filling where the remaining tooth becomes brittle with time.
Can Broken Teeth be Fixed?
Fortunately, there are several treatments available to fix broken teeth. The treatment your dentist chooses for you depends on what kind of damage you present with at your dental visit.
Dental Treatments for Broken Teeth
If you turn up at the dentist with a broken tooth, you are most likely going to get one of the following treatments. However, which treatment the dentist determines as ideal for you depends on your oral health, the extent of damage to the teeth, and other factors.
Dentists often regard dental bonding as the least invasive dental treatment for broken teeth. Dentists use composite material to correct and improve the appearance of the tooth. The composite molding is then hardened with a blue light to fix the tooth.
Benefits of Dental Bonding:
- It’s a quick dental treatment that offers high-quality results.
- It’s one of the least expensive cosmetic dental treatments.
- It requires the least amount of enamel to be removed.
- It’s a painless procedure; thus, doesn’t require anesthesia.
- It can improve the appearance of discolored teeth.
- It can also change the shape of teeth.
- Getting dental bonding is a safe, risk-free procedure.
Crowns are effective in covering the entire affected area. They are an easy way to fix broken teeth. They are thicker than veneers and restore the shape and appearance of the tooth.
Crowns are typically made of metal, porcelain, or ceramic. Dentists believe it is the most secure method of repairing or restoring decayed or broken teeth.
Benefits of Dental Crowns:
- A crown can support a significantly decayed tooth.
- It requires two appointments to be completed.
- It lasts a long time, which makes it cost-effective.
- It can protect an already worn-out tooth from further damage.
- It can protect a tooth post root canal therapy.
- It can improve the tooth’s appearance by changing its color and/or shape.
Porcelain or composite resin material is used in these custom-made colored shells. Veneers are the most commonly used cosmetic and restorative solution for enhancing your smile. If you are afraid to smile because of tooth loss, veneers are the best option. The dental procedure is designed to address both dental and cosmetic issues.
Benefits of Veneers:
- They look similar to natural teeth. This makes them hardly noticeable.
- They are also suitable for chipped, discolored, and cracked teeth.
- The procedure to place veneers doesn’t require extensive enamel removal.
- They can help to prevent discoloration of teeth.
- They are low-maintenance tooth appliances that can serve you for a longer period.
While it is an expensive treatment to fix broken teeth, it is particularly ideal for teeth damaged near the gum line. The dentist will remove the broken tooth and replace it with an implant.
Benefits of Dental Implants:
- They look and feel like natural teeth.
- They can enhance your smile and boost confidence.
- They make eating and other mouth functions easy.
- You can now get same day dental implants.
- They are long-lasting.
- Getting a dental implant can improve your oral health.
Using restorative material, the dentists fix broken teeth with dental fillings. It is considered among the safest treatment for broken teeth. It is ideal if your tooth has suffered a cavity. The process is relatively painless as well as cost-efficient.
Benefits of Dental Fillings:
- Dental fillings can stop the tooth from decaying.
- They can improve the tooth’s structure.
- They can strengthen fractured teeth.
- They can enhance the color of your teeth.
- They can last for many years.
Dentists use this procedure ideally for tooth holes. Dental sealants can protect the infected and cracked tooth. They will act as a barrier against bacteria that can cause a cavity.
Benefits of Dental Sealants:
- Dental sealants are suitable for people of all ages.
- They offer protection against cavities.
- The procedure to get dental sealants is quick and painless.
- They can last for many years.
- Getting sealants is a cost-effective procedure as compared to other dental restorative & cosmetic treatments.
Root Canal Therapy
If a broken or chipped tooth leads to damaging the pulp of the tooth, then your dentist will suggest a root canal treatment. The procedure aims to remove the infected pulp from the tooth and then proceed to cover it with a crown.
Benefits of Root Canal Therapy:
- It is a painless procedure due to the use of anesthesia.
- It helps in stopping the spread of infection.
- It improves mouth functions.
- It can enhance your smile.
- It is a cost-effective and efficient treatment.
- It improves oral health.
Sue Vetter’s Dental Care in Seattle
At Sue Vetter, we offer a wide range of dental treatments for broken teeth. During your dental visit, we will offer a thorough evaluation to determine what treatment will work best for you.
To learn more about what to do in case you have broken or chipped your teeth, or to book your appointment, please call or visit us.